Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Book

The Bible is by far the most fascinating, beautiful, challenging, and frustrating work of literature I've ever encountered.  Whenever I struggle with questions about my faith, it serves as both a comfort and an agitator, both the anchor and the storm. One day it inspires confidence, the next day doubt. For every question it answers, a new one surfaces. For every solution I think I've found, a new problem will emerge. The Bible has been, and probably always will be, a relentless, magnetic force that both drives me away from my faith and continuously calls me home. Nothing makes me crazier or gives me more hope than the eclectic collection of sixty-six books that begins with Genesis and finishes with Revelaiton. It's difficult to read a word of it without being changed. Rachel Held Evans, Evolving in Monkey Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment